What should I do first?
First, members who are approaching or are eligible for retirement should contact TRS and request the Application for Service Retirement (F-23) form or fill it out online using the Pathway member self-service portal.
This 12-page form has sections that need to be completed by you and your employer. The application must be postmarked or submitted in person to TRS by the first day of the month before the month your retirement becomes effective.
Example: for a Jan. 1 retirement, the TRS retirement application (F-23) must be submitted by Dec. 1.
(If the video player does not appear, the link to the Ready Set Retire webinar is: https://youtu.be/njgADso27W0.)
In addition to the Service Retirement application, the following documents must accompany your application or be on file in the TRS office prior to your retirement.
- Photocopy of your official, certified Department of Vital Statistics birth certificate (not the ceremonial hospital certificate)
- Photocopy of your Social Security card bearing the seal of the Social Security Administration and signed by you
- Photocopy of your official, certified marriage license (in Kentucky, filed with and available from the county clerk where the marriage was performed)
For those choosing a survivorship option
- Photocopy of the beneficiary’s official, certified Department of Vital Statistics birth certificate (not the ceremonial hospital certificate)
- Photocopy of the beneficiary’s Social Security card bearing the seal of the Social Security Administration and signed by the beneficiary
Once TRS has received your application and completed the necessary computations, you will be notified in writing of your monthly annuity amount based on the retirement option you selected. This information should be received prior to your first annuity payment. If you file an application and later change your mind, you must notify TRS in writing of your desire to cancel your retirement or change your option selection no later than the 15th of the month your retirement becomes effective.