University Employees or KCTCS Community Colleges

Returning To Work


You may return to full-time employment in a TRS position by waiving your retirement. In this program, you stop receiving your retirement check and will make contributions to your original retirement account. At the time you elect to retire for a second time, the service credit earned (if equivalent to at least one year) and the salaries earned (if higher than the original salaries) will be used to recalculate your retirement benefit. If the time employed in this program is less than one year of service credit, the retirement contributions paid will be refunded and your retirement check will be the same as before. You can reduce or remove discounts due to age or years of service by electing this program.

Forms for Active Members | Select Form 29 – Application for Waiver

100-Day / 12 Semester Hours Program

You may return to teaching in a postsecondary position for up to 12 semester hours in any one fiscal year. You may return to a non-teaching or administrative postsecondary position for up to 100 days in any one fiscal year. If you work 3.5 hours or less in a day TRS considers that as ½ a day toward the 100 day limit. If you work 3.5 hours or more TRS considers that as one day toward the 100-day limit. No salary limits apply unless you are teaching and coaching (academic or athletic). Your salary limit in this situation is 54% of the salary from which you retired and must be obtained from TRS prior to your employment.

No second retirement account is started and you will continue receiving your retirement check.

Optional Retirement Program

You may return to full-time employment with a university or community college and elect a retirement program other than TRS. If you have retired from a TRS university or community college, then there must be a complete six-month break in service prior to being employed.

Returning to work in a non-TRS position

You may wish to return to work with a TRS employer in a position that does not qualify for TRS membership. If so, before you begin work, the employer must submit a Form 30-E Request for Exemption from TRS Employment Limitations. TRS will notify you and the employer whether you are exempt from or subject to TRS return to work provisions. Failure by the employer to submit the Form 30-E and obtain a written determination by TRS before you begin work will cause you to be in violation of TRS return to work provisions.